"Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day in and day out" Robert Collier

Monday, May 2, 2011

Task 2: Get Real - No More Excuses

So our second pre-season task was thinking about the excuses we make for ourselves to either not exercise or not eat healthy and finding some solutions to them.  


I've been a bit slow in recording them as I really wanted to think long and hard about them and although at first I didn't think I had many, the more I thought about it, the more wrong I realised I was.  So here they are: 


Internal excuses:

  • I'm too tired - Go to bed earlier instead of staying up so late!!!
  • I'm too fat - If I keep exercising and eating right I won't be anymore, if I stop, I will be forever
  • I'm not fit enough - Continuous exercise will change this - just do it
  • People will laugh at me because I look silly/I feel out of place in the gym because they're all fit - If they laugh at me, that's their problem, who cares what they think.  I might look silly now but once I get the hang of it, I won't any more.  Anyway, who wants to be friends with people like that?!  If I keep going, I'll be one of the fit people.
  • Miss XYZ can eat whatever she wants and not exercise and she isn't fat so this chocolate/cheesecake/ice cream etc won't hurt me - Miss XYZ must have good genes or is just lucky (or will suddenly balloon one day).  Maybe she does work out at the gym but doesn't tell anyone, or maybe she goes to the toilet and vomits it all back up.
  • I've worked really hard so I deserve it - if I've worked hard, why spoil it with bad food? 
  • A little bit won't hurt - A little bit WILL hurt because I'll want more
  • I'm just big boned not fat -  Rubbish!  If I really were just big boned, why does my weight keep changing? 
  • Some caffeine will keep me awake - Drinking water and getting some fresh air will also help wake me up.  So will going to bed earlier.
External Excuses (within my control):
  • It's too hot/cold/windy/rainy - go to the gym, do a circuit inside comprising of sit ups, push ups, squats etc, get some of Mish's DVDs for such occasions
  • I can't find/don't have any clean socks or don't have any clean gym gear - just wear what I've got - they're only going to get dirty anyway... and make sure I buy more socks and gym gear ASAP
  • I can't afford it - cut spending in other areas, 
  • I don't have time - make time - go straight after work or get up earlier and go before work.  This isn't optional.
  • My knees/wrists hurt - find exercises I can do where it won't impact on these parts of my body.

No comments:

Post a Comment