"Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day in and day out" Robert Collier

Friday, May 6, 2011

Some maths

Reading Mish's book, Crunchtime, she talks some basic and yet simple maths about losing weight.

The basic formula is:

calories in less calories out = calorie surplus or deficit.

Calories out = the calories you burn + your basal metabolic rate (the calories your body will burn if you stay in bed and do nothing all week)

So, to calculate my basal metabolic rate:

655.1+
983.84 (9.46 x 104kg) +
299.7 (1.85 x 162cm) -
112 (4.48 x 25years old)

Therefore my basal metabolic rate is 1826.64 per day, or 12786.48 per week.

So, if I ate 1200 calories a day over a week, calories in would equal 8400 calories.

So far, the equation would look like this:

8400 calories - (12786.48 + calories burned at the gym) = -4386.48.

So how many calories do I need to do each session at the gym then?

According to Michelle, in order to lose 1/2 kilo a week, you have to be in deficit by 3500 calories.  So, if I want to achieve my 1kg a week goal, I have another 3500 calories to burn at the gym each week,which works out at 583 calories per session (6 sessions a week).  WOW.  I had hoped that perhaps my 350 cals might be enough, but I think I may very well have to rethink that if I'm to achieve my goal...

So glad I did the maths!

3 comments:

  1. Hey lovely :) Don't be too discouraged by what you're burning at your current intensity... just look at it has an opportunity to lift your game!
    I found that I needed to use my weight to my advantage and really push through the uncomfortable barrier to get the results i want/ed, for me the easiest way to do this is mix up my routine with classes, but I've also found that going on different equipement or a different workout dvd is enough to get my body out of the comfort zone in order to lift the heart rate and burn some serious calories.
    I'm not sure what pre season task this is highlighted in, but your workouts during the week follow the pattern of fitness, strength, fitness, strength, stretch and super fitness and then rest. Super fitness- or SSS is the day where you should burn twice the amount as you would in your normal training session, so I usually treat it as catch up because I burn hardly anything on strength and stretch days.
    I must say, Mish likes to say "paralysis by analysis" quite a bit, so although its important to understand the science behind weight loss- its also important to keep it in the back of your mind and train hard! As long as you're keeping training and nutrition consistent- you WILL see results!
    Let us know how you go with ideas to lift your calorie count- interval training is a fantastic way btw, give it a google!
    x x

    ReplyDelete
  2. also to add to the above comment it is only early days and if you keep it up you will get there by the time the 12 week challenge starts! keep up the hard work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not too discouraged by this... it's just that Mish said to do the maths and make sure your goal is achievable which is what I was doing. It was a good exercise to have done because it means that I will work harder in the exercise department to make sure I get to that goal.

    Interval training is def the way to go - On Thurs night I did week 1 of C25K which I've started before. This time I'm determined to finish the damn thing!!!

    ReplyDelete