"Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day in and day out" Robert Collier

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

If you think it, you will be it

I've been thinking a lot over the last few days and conveniently got Mish's other book Crunchtime in the mail yesterday and started reading it last night.


In her book, Mish talks about using the word, "hopefully" as in "hopefully I'll lose XXXkg by XXX"  instead of saying "I will lose XXXkg by XXX".  She says that using the word "hopefully" means we're setting ourselves up for the possibility of failing instead of being positive and aiming to achieve what it is you're wanting to achieve.  I didn't realise how much I use that word "hopefully" until I started to think about it.  Even this afternoon during my PT session, my PT said something about the weight dropping off me if I keep going the way I am to which I replied, "hopefully".  No sooner did the word come out of my mouth, did I realise what I was saying to myself.  I was chucking one leg on each side of the fence so if I did achieve that goal, I could say to myself "well I knew I could do it" but if I didn't I'd be able to say "I knew it wouldn't happen" to quell that feeling of disappointment.  I quickly corrected myself and agreed that the weight will keep dropping off me if I keep going at it.  


It reminded me of that old saying "if you think it, you will be it" or words to that effect.  From now on, I'm going to pay great attention to the words I think (all that self talk) and the words I say to others to try and catch myself in thinking this way.


Of course, the saying "if you think it, you will be it", probably shouldn't be taken too literally.  After all, R Kelly sang, "I believe I can fly" but the closest to flying he'll ever do is in a Boeing 747 or a handglider etc, no matter how much he believes it.


Which I think is probably a good thought to ponder when considering my next pre-season task.  The goals have to be hard enough so that I don't just do some pansy arse effort because it's all too easy, but then they shouldn't be TOO hard that they're impossible (ie aiming to lose all 40kg in 12 weeks, or becoming a size 6 or whatever).  


Let me ponder some more on that...

No comments:

Post a Comment